Mechanics Institution and Museum

Another institution of note which merits a mention is the Ayr branch of the Mechanics Institution and Museum.

It was located on the site of the ex-Forum building, initially in 44 High Street c. 1830 and then 48 High Street.
It was listed as the ‘Mechanics Library’. This organisation was established in order to help working men better themselves through education and learning, and foster their desire for improvement and self-help amongst the workers of the time.